Q. What is a "conservation district"?

A. Conservation Districts are local units of government dedicated to land and water conservation. They are established under Minnesota State Statute and governed by an elected board.

Q. Which artists are currently showing their work at the Washington Conservation Center?

A. Current artwork and artist information can be found here. 

Q. Where can I get information on planting a prairie?

A. Contact us! Or visit the MN Department of Natural Resources website.

Q. Who can help me with deciding what to do with my land?

A. Several staff members can help. Call the main line at 651-330-8220 for a free site visit and personal consultation. 

Q. There is a momma bear and two cubs hanging out near my house. Who can I call about getting rid of them?

A. MnDNR's North Metro Wildlife office, at 651-296-5200. You can also check out their fact sheet on how to co-exist with bears in your area.

Q. How clean is my lake?

A. WCD monitors some (not all) lakes and streams in Washington County. The data is available here.

Q. Who can I talk to about buckthorn / thistles / knapweed control?

A. Washington County does not have an active weed control program. However, several of our staff can help you with basic weed identification and provide some reference information or technical assistance. Call us at 651-330-8220.

Q. Do I need a permit for my project?

A. Contact our staff, and they will direct you, based on components and location of your project.

Q. Is there any funding or grants to help pay for my project?

A. It depends on what your project is, and where you are located. Visit the Financial Assistance page to learn what type of grants are available for projects in your area.