An introduction to the water quality, land use, and health of the St. Croix River
ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP
A workshop on the St. Croix River that focuses on bringing elected and appointed officials and community leaders out on the River to build their knowledge and provide skills that will assist them in making informed decisions and taking actions for community planning and water resource protection and restoration.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Local elected and appointed officials and community leaders in the Minnesota and Wisconsin St. Croix Watershed including city councils, county commissioners, city and county planning commissions and staff, zoning boards and staff, park board members, watershed district and organization board members, town and township boards and supervisors, agricultural commodity leadership groups, St. Croix Partnership Team, and members of the SCRA Board.
A special invite this year to: New elected and appointed leaders, leaders participating in the adoption of the MN MIDS Community Assistance Package (revised stormwater ordinances) and any leaders who have not participated in years past.
COMPONENTS OF THE 2015 WORKSHOP
- The Watershed Game – an exercise that applies plans, practices, and policies to meet water quality goals of the St. Croix River and community lakes and streams.
- The Guided View – a tour of specific locations along the River focusing on: water quality, river health, pollutants of concern, current challenges and why we should care, groundwater‐surface water connections, and the impacts from tributaries and land use far away from the River.
REGISTER ONLINE BY JULY 24, 2015
- August 6, 2015 from 5:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- $20/person includes a light dinner and refreshments.
- Aboard the Grand Duchess from Hudson Pier at 500 1st Street in Hudson, WI.
- Participation is limited so register early!
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
- John Bilotta, University of Minnesota Extension, 651‐480‐7708, jbilotta [at] umn.edu
- John Haack, University of Wisconsin Extension, 715‐635‐7406, john.haack [at] ces.uwex.edu
- Angie Hong, East Metro Water Resource Education Program, 651‐275‐1136, angie.hong [at] mnwcd.org
- Molly Shodeen, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, 651‐259‐5802, molly.shodeen [at] state.mn.us
- Deb Ryun, St. Croix River Association, 715‐483‐3300, debryun [at] scramail.com
Workshop presented by the East Metro Water Resource Education Program partners, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, St. Croix River Association, National Park Service, University of Wisconsin Extension, and the University of Minnesota Extension and Sea Grant Program, with additional funding provided by the MN Board of Water and Soil Resources and the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment.